Monday, August 9, 2010

EXPRESSING CERTAINTY & UNCERTAINTY

EXPRESSING CERTAINTY & UNCERTAINTY

Act 1 : Read the dialogue

1. Peter : Are you sure air pollution is more dangerous for the children?

Jim : Yes, I'm quite sure. It causes the illness for them.

2. Anne : Are you sure all the garbage is easy to destroy?

Marry : No, I doubt about it. The garbage like plastics is difficult to destroy

Answer these question based on the dialogue above

1. Is Jim sure that air pollution is more dangerous for the children?

2. What does he say?

3. Is marry sure that all the garbage is easy to destroy?

4. What does she say?

Act 2 : Read some expression below

Expression of Certainty:

- I’m certain.

- Of course

- I am sure.

- It is confirmed.

- No doubt about it.

Expression of Uncertainty:

- I’m not certain.

- I am not sure.

- I doubt about it.

- I don’t know

Act 3 : Check Your Ability

Complete the dialogue by Using Expression of Certainty/Uncertainty.

A : It seems, Ruly can operate the computer well.

B : ……………………………….

A : Why do you say so? His work was so good yesterday.

B : ………. You know I did his work.

A : Can you train me to operate it?

B : ……………….. If I have time.

A : Thank you anyway.

B : ……………………………

A : Sorry, I have to go now, see you.

B : …………………………..

Make short dialogues using certainty and uncertainty.

3 comments: