Tuesday, August 24, 2010

USING PAIRED CONJUNCTIONS

BOTH …………..AND; NOT ONLY ………… BUT ALSO;
EITHER ……… OR; NEITHER …….. NOR

EXAMPLE:

1. Both my mother and my sister are here
2. Not only mother but also my sister is here
3. Not only my sister but also my parents are here
4. Neither my mother nor my sister is here
5. Neither my sister nor parents are here

Answer the question. Use paired conjunction



Use both … and

1. You have met his father. Have you met his mother?
Yes, I have met both father and his mother
2. The driver was injured in the accident. Was the passenger injured in the accident?
3. Wheat is grown in Kansas. Is corn grown in Kansas?
4. He buys used cars. Does he sell used cars?
5. You had lunch with your friends. Did you have dinner with them?
6. The city suffers from air pollution. Does it suffer from water pollution?



Use not only … but also

1. I know you are studying math. Are you studying chemistry too?
Yes, I’m studying not only math but also chemistry
2. I know his cousin is living with him. Is his mother-in-law with him too?
3. I know your country has good universities. Does the United States have good
Universities too?
4. I know you lost your wallet. Did you lose your keys too?
5. I know she goes to school. Does he buy a new pair of shoes too?



Use either … or

1. John has your book, or Mary has your book. Is that right?
Yes, either John or Mary has my book
2. You’ve going to give you’re a book for her birthday, or you’re going to give her
a pen. Is this right?
3. Your sister will meet you at the airport, or your brother will meet you there.
Right
4. They can go swimming or they can play tennis. Is that right?
5. You’re going to vote for Mr. Smith, or you’re going to vote for Mr. Jones. Right
6. You’ll go to New Orleans for your vacation, or you’ll go to Miami. Right



Use neither … nor

1. He doesn’t like coffee. Does he like tea
No, he likes neither coffee nor tea
2. Her husband doesn’t speak English. Do her children speak English?
3. The students aren’t wide awake today. Is the teacher wide awake today?
4. They don’t have a refrigerator for their new apartment. Do they have a stove?
5. She doesn’t enjoy hunting. Does she enjoy fishing?
6. The result wasn’t good. Was the result bad?

GOOD LUCK

No comments:

Post a Comment