Thursday, August 26, 2010

VERB TENSE OVERVIEW WITH EXAMPLES

SIMPLE PRESENT
I study English every day.

Present Continuous
I am studying English now.

Present Perfect
I have studied English in several different countries.

Present Perfect Continuous
I have been studying English for five years.

SIMPLE PAST
Two years ago, I studied English in England.

Past Continuous
I was studying English when you called yesterday.

Past Perfect
I had studied a little English before I moved to the U.S.

Past Perfect Continuous
I had been studying English for five years before I moved to the U.S.

SIMPLE FUTURE
# If you are having problems, I will help you to study English.
# I am going to study English next year.

Future Continuous
I will be studying English when you arrive tonight.

Future Perfect
I will have studied every tense by the time I finish this course.

Future Perfect Continuous
I will have been studying English for over two hours by the time you arrive.

SIMPLE PAST FUTURE
I would marry her if she accepted my love last year.

Past Future Continuous
She would be coming on time to my party if she wasn’t busy last night.

Past Future Perfect
I would have died if nobody helped last night.

Past Future Perfect Continuous
I would have been studying English for over two hours by the time you arrived here last Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment